It’s been 8 years since I moved to New York.
New York is like the whole world in one place, from little Italy, to Chinatown to the Upper East Side, New York has it all.
I remember my excitement when I moved to the city. I wanted to be a part of it.
For a while, it seemed I was in a relationship with New York. You know, one of those rocky relationships – when it was great, it was great and when it wasn’t it, wasn’t.
Sometimes this city got the best of me. It felt like I would get knocked down and beat up. But somehow, I got back up and got the best of it.
As I changed, my relationship with New York changed too.
8 years later I have a successful business, I found the love of my life and I’m getting married in April, 2012. What more could a 30-year woman ask for?
So, to you New York, I want to say thanks – for all you have challenged me to do, taught me, and for the inspiration I have gotten from all my experiences here.
Some of the lesson’s I’ve learned are:
1. When you need help, get it.
2. Never ever give up.
3. If you want it, go after it.
4. It’s okay to cry.
5. If it’s not the right fit, don’t force it.
6. Most of the time, the only thing getting in your way – is you.
7. Focus is power, stay focused.
8. Follow your intuition.
9. Be grateful for what you have.
10. Sometimes no matter how you spin it, things just don’t make sense. Accept it and move on.
11. Friends come and go.
12. Your habits form your future.
13. See the opportunity.
14. Believe in yourself.
15. Don’t dwell in the past. Be present.
16. Say “No” to what you don’t want.
17. No person, place or thing has power over you unless you allow it.
18. Have a learning mindset.
19. Surround yourself with positive people.
20. Be your own best friend.
It’s been a journey and I’ve met some of the most incredible people – that’s what it’s all about.
If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.
It’s up to you.