While many things in life are unpredictable, there’s one thing you can be sure of-cranberries are among the top foods with proven health benefits.
Most of you only know that cranberries are good when we get stuck with a urinary tract infection (the juice reduces the number of bacteria that adheres to the urinary tract lining.) However, cranberries are also a healthy, low-calorie fruit holding these other 5 benefits:
1. Reduces Cholesterol- Laboratory results have shown that cranberry extract reduces the oxidation of “bad cholesterol.”
2. Prevents Ulcers- New studies have shown that this fruit has the ability to prevent peptic ulcers by inhibiting the adhesion of bacteria to certain parts of the stomach.
3. Anti-Aging- Exciting new research has shown that cranberries can help with memory and coordination.
4. Oral Health- A compound in cranberries prevents plaque formation on teeth, and is generally good for periodontal health.
5. Reducing Cancer- Cranberry extracts may have a role in inhibiting some types of cancers.
Fresh cranberries are at their peak now through December. Choose cranberries that are deep red and firm. The deeper the red, the better they are for you. Cranberries are powerful antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory benefits. They’re rich in vitamin C and believed to have infection fighting properties.
If you want to try something festive, here’s a simple recipe by Chef Mark Goodwin, CEC, CNC, from Produce for Better Health Foundation:
“Mix 1 cup of 100% mixed cranberry juice, 2 cups frozen strawberries without sugar, and 6 ounces of low-fat vanilla yogurt. Blend until smooth and enjoy! Also, you can make a cranberry martini or drop dried cranberries into champagne for an extra zest at your holiday party.”
Have a berry delightful holiday!
- 02 Mar 2008The Flowering of Human Consciousness 7 Comments
- 01 May 2014Using Visualization to Create What You Want 7 Comments
- 14 Mar 2014I walked on Fire! 4 Comments
- 26 Mar 20133 Questions to Change Your Career 4 Comments
- 29 May 2014How to Bust Through Your Fear 4 Comments